Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review - It's Just Lola by Dixiane Hallaj

It's Just LolaIt's Just Lola by Dixiane Hallaj
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Cover - Found the text a little hard to read. I assume this would work better for a print version. However, the image of the girl in the mirror reflects recollection which then relates to the story that is told.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Story - Three of us from the book club are reading this book and strangely enough this book has reached out to us in different ways. As an older lady with two grandchildren, this book was all about humble beginnings and the memories we take with us into our old age. When we have a bit of quiet time and catch ourselves daydreaming, it's astonishing what we actually remember from our younger days. The same goes for Lola. Lola's voice is a little haunting at times but speaks to readers with such emotion, you will remember her for a long time to come.

What I liked - Lola's voice. Although written as a fiction book, the story seems so real you feel as if you are sitting down talking to someone. The writing style is exquisite and at times the words wrap around you like silk. I really want to read more of this writer's work.

What I didn't like - That the story ended. I'll keep Lola by my side for awhile yet.

Rating - 4.5 / 5 stars.

Disclosure - I received a complimentary copy from the author which did not affect my honest opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment