10 Things I Wish I’d Known About Being an Author
by Steena Holmes
- Get ready to invest: 3 laptops later, I wish I had bought a MacBook in the very beginning and discovered Scrivener. It has literally changed how I wrote and in a good way.
- Patience is a skill I would need to learn and fast.
- The way my beta partner writes might not work for me, and that’s okay.
- Find a good chiropractor and become their new best friend.
- Not everyone will be happy with your success. And by ‘not happy’ I mean jealous, rude and will tear you apart publicly. Don’t take it personal. Just smile and realize it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them.
- Just because I wrote it doesn’t mean it should be published. That goes for my first, fifth and tenth book. Not every book needs to be published.
- Just face it – your family will not buy your book. And that’s okay. In fact, you should probably just forget about that all together.
- Suck it up and learn how to promote and market your books. Don’t rely on your publisher or friends to do it for you. And be prepared to be surprised at how much you like doing this. Yes, it will shock you.
- Not every idea is a great idea – but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try it first. Just be open to failing – fail forward – it’s the only way you’ll learn and grow as a writer and as a person.
- Get ready for your dreams to come true – because it will happen!
For two years, Megan, Peter, and their two older daughters, Alexis and Hannah, dream of nothing but being reunited with the family’s youngest child, Emma, who was kidnapped just before her third birthday. When Emma is miraculously found living with an elderly couple just miles from the family’s home, they are hopeful that her return will heal the wounds her disappearance created.
But Emma is vastly different from the sunny toddler they remember. She barely remembers her parents or her older sisters. She is quiet and withdrawn, and, worst of all, longs for the very people who kidnapped her.
Megan is consumed with bitterness, while Peter works later and later nights in the company of his gorgeous business partner. And in the middle of everything, Megan’s best friend has become suddenly distant and secretive.
Then a chance encounter in town leads to a secret that changes everything again for Emma. And Peter must decide between the happiness of his youngest daughter and the trust of his family.
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Women’s fiction
Rating – PG
More details about the author