Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Why Book Covers are So Important – Shirleen Davies @ShirleenDavies #Harder

When I first began the series, The MacLarens of Fire Mountain, it was all about the stories and character development. I really didn’t think much about book covers although I knew I needed them. I’d already decided the series would be at least four books long and each would focus on a different brother – but the cover?
That changed as I started to read comments on book blogs and readers groups about how people are often drawn to a cover first, then determine if they’ll read the book description. Personally, I’d always found the genre I wanted to read, found books, read their descriptions, and made a buy decision, oftentimes only glancing at the cover. I found I was not in the norm.
Being an Indie Author, I spent at least two days a week plotting how I would market my books. Now, I realized I had to spend time finding a cover designer who would convey my vision of each book and do it within my very tight budget. It took some effort, but I did find a designer that was willing to work with me to achieve what I think are some very good covers.
My designer worked on book one, Tougher than the Rest, and within two weeks I had the jpeg. I used it on several social networks and almost instantaneously received great feedback. Not only did the viewers like the cover, but several asked when the book would be out as the cover peeked their interest enough to buy it. My perception of cover art changed. I was sold!
I went back to my cover designer and put in orders for the next two books, Faster than the Rest, and the current book, Harder than the Rest. Faster was used on social media about one month before it released and again, the feedback was amazing. When Faster released, I sent messages out to some of the readers who had responded with positive comments and everyone indicated they were looking forward to buying it. Did they? I don’t know, but the covers generated excitement and buzz, which is needed for any Indie Author.
Oh yes, I am also getting great feedback on the cover for Harder than the Rest.
I now realize that once I have the shell of a new book, the first thing I do is contact my cover designer and get him started. It’s never too early to use the cover of a future book in your promotions and social media posts.

Lesson learned: A good cover will generate favorable impressions of your work even before the book is released.
Harder Than The Rest
“They are men you want on your side. Hard, confident, and loyal, the MacLarens of Fire Mountain will seize your attention from the first page.”
Will MacLaren is a hardened, plain-speaking bounty hunter. His life centers on finding men guilty of horrendous crimes and making sure justice is done. There is no place in his world for the carefree attitude he carried years before when a tragic event destroyed his dreams.
Amanda is the daughter of a successful Colorado rancher. Determined and proud, she works hard to prove she is as capable as any man and worthy to be her father’s heir. When a stranger arrives, her independent nature collides with the strong pull toward the handsome ranch hand. But is he what he seems and could his secrets endanger her as well as her family?
The last thing Will needs is to feel passion for another woman. But Amanda elicits feelings he thought were long buried. Can Will’s desire for her change him? Or will the vengeance he seeks against the one man he wants to destroy—a dangerous opponent without a conscious—continue to control his life?
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Western Historical Romance
Rating – PG-13
More details about the author and the book
Connect with Shirleen Davies on Facebook & Twitter



1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for sponsoring my book on your blog today. It's a challenge for authors to gain support and get the message out to the reading public. Your support goes a long way in making this happen!

    So far the feedback on Harder than the Rest has been beyond my expectations. I love to receive feedback and I'm happy to reply to any comments posted by your readers.
    Best to you!

    ReplyDelete