Monday, April 8, 2013

Author Interview – Thomas Sullivan

Do you have any advice for writers? I think it’s important to find a voice and stick with it. Your voice is the genuine you, and trying to be something you’re not to fit into a market is counter-productive. We hear that a lot, but it’s true. I’d also recommend sending writing to any venue, regardless of its size or status in the writing world. You find people who help you in some of the most unexpected places.

Do you have any specific last thoughts that you want to say to your readers? First, a big thanks for reading this and anything I’ve written. And secondly, if they’re writers, to never drop a topic because they think people won’t be interested in it. I’ve had a really nice response to a piece that includes a Flowbie. That’s ridiculous, but that’s why it’s fun.

What do you do to unwind and relax? I’ve recently gotten hooked on shows like The Wire and Boston Public, whereas I never used to watch TV. Which, I guess, means that packing on the pounds is now a new relaxation hobby as well. I also like trolling through Goodwill to find the strange stuff. Yesterday I found a framed Letter Of Commendation from the Department Of Commerce, circa 1961. Don’t know why someone would donate that (probably for a tax deduction). The t-shirt section is also real gem.

If you could leave your readers with one bit of wisdom, what would you want it to be? We are all great beings. We’re perfect despite our flaws. A big part of what I’ve tried to do with So Much Time, So Little Change is show how our absurdities make us so loveable. We get a lot of messages from advertisers and groups about how we’re supposed to be: thinner, smarter, richer, more productive. But in the end we’re really just supposed to be us.

When you wish to end your career, stop writing, and look back on your life, what thoughts would you like to have? I’d like to think “that was fun.” And hopefully I helped make some people’s days a bit brighter.

 

Buy Now @ Amazon

Genre – Humourous Essays

Rating – PG

More details about the book

Connect with Thomas Sullivan on Twitter & Google Plus

Website http://www.thomassullivanhumor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment