Saturday, December 15, 2012

"Book Club Pick - Good Writing, Bad Judgment"

Lethal CircuitLethal Circuit by Lars Guignard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Cover - I am not sure what to think. When Kipling used the swastika on the spines of his book, this was based on the Indian sun symbol. When British royalty used a swastika as an arm band for a fancy dress party, an apology was issued by the palace. Why this writer seems to have a lackadaisical approach to the symbol is simply beyond me.

Formatting / Appearance - Overall, no issues There were large gaps between chapters but this may have been intentional and did not affect the reading experience.

Story - If you were to compare the writing style to those of Tom Clancy, Frederick Forsyth, Robert Ludlum or Ian Fleming - it will fall flat on it's face but if you were to read it and appreciate it for it's own qualities, Lars Guignard has created a character that may well last through time.

What I liked - Michael is seen as a searching hero. He needs clues for the mystery at hand and for his own life's direction. The way these two components are mashed together in the story kept it going for me.

What I didn't like - The swastika logo on the cover and the fact that there were large chunks of the book that appeared under-developed. Given a bit more time, I am sure the writer could have tweaked this to create a stronger character.

Rating - 4 / 5 stars.

Disclosure - I received a complimentary copy from the author which did not affect my honest opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment